- BA and BA Dance Education Degrees
- For existing BYU students only. Occurs annually in January. Application and pre-requisites must be completed beforehand. Contact email@example.com for deadlines, questions, and further information.
- BFA Dance Degree
- For existing dance majors only. Occurs annually near Fall semester’s end. Application and pre-requisites must be completed beforehand. Contact Shayla Bott (firstname.lastname@example.org) for deadlines, questions, and further information.
BYU seeks to recognize students who have demonstrated academic excellence, leadership skills, financial need, or unique talents. Talent and Achievement awards are available in the area of dance. For these awards, demonstrated ability is a more important criterion than scholastic achievement.
- Incoming Freshmen and Transfer Talent Awards*
- Ballet and Contemporary Modern dancers audition in person. Video submissions are welcomed for those unable to attend the live audition. The live audition occurs annually each Fall semester. For Fall 2017, Scholarship auditions will be held Saturday, November 11. Applications are due by November 3, 2017. Please apply here.
- Ballroom and World dancers audition via online video submission only. Videos are due annually December 31. For further information regarding Ballroom please contact Katie Davidson (email@example.com) and for World dance please contact Jeanette Geslison (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- *NOTE: Scholarship applicants will not be informed regarding the status of their application until mid-February at the earliest.
- Continuing Dance Major Awards
- Continuing major applications are due early in Winter Semester. Deadlines will be announced via the major newsletter and other printed materials. Applications must be completed and returned to the department office. Contact email@example.com for questions, and further information.
August 28, 2017
4:00-6:00 PM, 283 RB
Students auditions for both Ballet Showcase Company and Theatre Ballet during this time. Students who have achieved a Dance 391 technique level or above are invited to attend this audition, as a pre-professional standard is expected. The audition consists of an advanced ballet technique class on pointe. Men will be able to demonstrate specific male technique skills at the end of the audition. Students do not need to be dance majors to perform with the company or receive scholarships.
Free open classes will be held in 283 RB from August 24-26, 2017 from 9:30-11:30 AM each day to prepare for auditions.
Dancers who are selected to dance on the Theatre Ballet company will need to be available from 9:00 AM-5:00 PM August 29-September 1, 2017 and from 10:00-11:30 AM on September 2, 2017.
The first Thursday of Fall and Winter Semester (September and January).
Students try out for both the touring and non-touring companies in a single audition.
Students who audition for the Ballroom Dance Company must dance International or American-style waltz and cha-cha. If selected for the company, students must enroll in Dance 388R for team instruction. Other team commitments are also necessary.
5:00-8:00 PM (Registration at 4:30 PM)
Callbacks April 5 (6:00-9:00 PM)
Seeking exceptionally trained male and female performers interested in dancing all syles of modern and contemporary dance! Other membership commitments are also required. Wear modest leotards and tights, bare feet. You will learn and perform 2-3 movement sections; there may be some improvisation. Solos are NOT required.
Early Winter Semester
Please fill out an audition form prior to auditioning. The form can be picked up in the Dance Office 294 RB.
Wear modest clothing that you can move in uninhibitedly. You will learn and perform 2/3 movement phrases; there may be some improvisation.
Early Winter Semester
Wilkinson Center Main Ballroom
There are two beginning and one intermediate level Folk Dance Performing Ensembles for which auditions are held the first Wednesday evening of Fall and Winter Semesters. All auditioning students need to bring a partner. Students will be taught a variety of basic folk dance steps and combinations at the audition. If selected, enrollment in D-378R is required.
Auditions will be held the first Wednesday of fall semester at 6:30 PM in the Wilkinson Center Main Ballroom AND the first Wednesday of winter semester at 7:00 PM in 270/278 RB.
Auditions for the advanced levels are by invitation only.
August 30 Open house from 12:00-2:00 PM, 1137 RB
August 31 Auditions from 1:00-5:00 PM, 2206 RB
September 1 Auditions from 8:00 AM-12:00 PM
Final call-backs 1:00-5:00 PM
Call 801-422-5086 after August 1 for to schedule and audition time. Initial auditions are three minutes in length and should show something from the culture you represent if possible. Preference will be given to students of Polynesian, Latin American, and Native American descent.
An open house will be held for those considering auditioning on Wednesday, August 30th 12:00-2:00 PM in room 1137 of the Richards building. There you will be able to meet those in leadership and directorial positions and receive any further information or answers to questions that you might have concerning the group. Auditions will be held August 31 and September 1. For more information and appointments, contact the Dance Department Office located in 294 RB, 801-422-5086.
Auditions are by invitation only during the fall semester. The group rehearses during winter semester in preparation for daily performances during the month of May.