Mandatory Annual Advisement
Students in all dance major programs (Dance BA, Dance BFA, and Dance Ed) are required to schedule an annual advisement meeting with their assigned major advisor.
The steps for completing your mandatory advisement major requirement are as follows:
1.) Access the current MAP sheet for your declared major:
2.) Access the department course offerings document. This important document indicates when dance courses are offered each semester/term to be able to complete your graduation plan.
3.) Access the Course Chains document for your major:
4.) Using the MAP, Course Offerings sheets, and Course Chains document, complete a plan to graduation using the grad plan documents:
5.) Make an appointment with your assigned Major Advisor (sent out via email to all majors) for your annual, mandatory advisement and send an electronic version of your grad plan to your advisor.
6.) Have your major advisor email Emily Emerick at Emily_emerick@byu.edu to let her know you have completed your advisement meeting. Your advisor will send the electronic copy of your grad plan to Emily.
7.) Make an appointment to meet with Emily Emerick in the CFAC Advisement office (Emily_emerick@byu.edu) for your annual advisement meeting with her.
It is mandatory that each major student meets and reviews their graduation plan with their assigned advisor annually, prior to November 15th of the academic year if they are current majors, and February 15th if they are new majors. If a student doesn’t meet with their advisor by the deadline, a registration hold will be placed on the student’s account, stopping them from registering for the next semester’s classes.
Dance Majors are assigned Faculty Advisors and College Advisors to assist them in their degree pursuit. An advisor’s role is to:
- Continue our college’s tradition of excellence by promoting individual development
- Motivate and encourage students to pursue their personal path to graduation
- Teach and empower students to reach their potential
- Inspire students to seek lifelong learning
Dance BA Major Advisors
Faculty Advisement Assignments
Adam Dyer, firstname.lastname@example.org
Jamie Kalama Wood, email@example.com
Amy Jex, firstname.lastname@example.org
Keely Glenn, email@example.com
Brent Keck, firstname.lastname@example.org
Jeanette Geslison, email@example.com
Shani Robison, firstname.lastname@example.org
Dance Ed K-12 Advisors
Coordinator and Pre-D Ed Advisor
& Dance Ed Advisor
Kori Wakamatsu, email@example.com
Dance Minor Advisors
Marci Edgington (Ballroom), firstname.lastname@example.org
Marin Roper (Contemporary), email@example.com
Tamara Chamberlain (World), firstname.lastname@example.org
Hilary Wolfley (Ballet), email@example.com
Mandatory meetings are held once a semester for all dance majors. Important information is shared at every meeting, so be sure to come! These meetings are where you learn about scholarship deadlines, publishing opportunities, senior project information, course offerings, and other information that is pertinent to all dance majors.
Meetings are typically held on third or fourth Thursdays at 11:00 am in the Richards Building. Meeting notices will be on the flat screen TVs in the Richard Building at least a couple of weeks in advance.
NEXT MAJORS MEETINGS:
There are different requirements for all majors in reference to Senior Capstone projects:
- BA majors are NOT required to do a Senior Capstone project but have the option to if so desired. They can complete a senior capstone focused on: Choreography, Performance, Pedagogy, or Research.
- BFA majors are required to do a Senior Capstone project that has both Choreography and Performance components.
- Dance Ed majors are required to do a Senior Capstone project in Choreography.
- All majors planning to do a senior capstone must fill out this senior capstone tracking form (hyper link to form) and submit it to Kate Monson (firstname.lastname@example.org, 291 RB) so that you will be added to the appropriate semester and year.
Semesters do fill up so it is important you do this before your senior year, ideally no later than your sophomore year.
- All majors are required to submit a written proposal for approval prior to receiving an add code for the Senior Capstone course, Dance 469.
- All students doing Choreography based capstones are required to also present a movement proposal prior to receiving an add code for the Senior Capstone course, Dance 469.
- If you are a BA or BFA doing a Choreography capstone project you must complete all prerequisites for a Choreography capstone prior to taking the 469 course. These include: a 300 level genre specific composition course, Dance 363, and Dance 462.
- If you are Dance Ed. major doing a Choreography capstone project you need to take the aforementioned prerequisites plus Dance 355 before taking Dance 469.
- All majors will be assigned a faculty mentor for the duration of their capstone project, after successfully passing the proposal stage.