Dance News Archive

Dance student opens windows to the world

Dance Education Major Kelli Briggs began her college career at Dixie State University. Briggs attended DSU on scholarship as a dancer, but took a break from school when she realized she wanted to study dance education and that wasn’t available at Dixie.

While on a sabbatical from school, Briggs took a humanitarian trip to India for six months teaching dance with a nonprofit called Rising Star Outreach. It was there that Briggs felt she needed to go to BYU.

In her time at BYU, Briggs has performed with BYU’s Theatre Ballet, Contemporary Dance Theatre, Kinnect dance education company, and dacEnsemble student choreography company. Briggs and her ballroom dance partner also competed at nationals and took first place national title in amateur cabaret. Briggs also attended a BYU dance study abroad in China and toured in Denmark for a Dance and the Child International conference.

“I’ve just had tremendous opportunities to learn, see, perform and teach while at BYU,” Briggs said. “I’ve really enjoyed my time and now I’m heading off in the world to find a way for myself with my husband.”

Briggs set herself apart by diving in to every opportunity that came her way. She diversified her skills, enjoyed multiple genres of dance and served as the student dance major president.

Briggs was also selected to go to Washington in the fall of 2016 to present undergraduate research at a National Dance Education Conference.

Following graduation, Briggs plans to teach dance in high school.

“I believe young people need the therapeutic relief, discipline and self-confidence that dance brings,” Briggs said. “From a young age I knew I was a kinesthetic learner and I found a place where I belonged in dance. So many students need that, they need a different venue to shine.”

Currently, Briggs is completing her student teaching at Cottonwood High School in the Granite School District. Cottonwood is the only school in the district that has opened its doors to refugee students, so Brigg’s classes include a diverse group of students from unique backgrounds.

“It is a humbling experience to work with so many students and see them grow in a really challenging class that associates creativity, growth and positivity,” Briggs said.

Briggs’ convocation message will center on the “power of yes” that has brought her so many opportunities during her college experience.

“I’ve found when I really challenge myself and push myself to fill my life with good things, I’ve grown beyond anything I could have imagined just a few short years ago,” Briggs said.

Click here to the view the graduation live stream.