Department of Dance
CONTEMPORARY DANCE THEATRE
Contemporary Dance Theatre (CDT) ignites audiences with its whirlwind of motion, color, and feeling. Showcasing contemporary dance at its best in styles that range from lyrical and contemporary jazz to classical modern, the company is committed to reaching people of all ages. Whether thrilling audiences in India or teaching young children in Australia, these articulate performers present dance that uplifts, entertains and educates.
Since 1975, CDT (formerly known as The Dancers’ Company) has taught workshops and toured throughout the world, twice being invited to perform at the Kennedy Center for Performing Arts in Washington, D.C. The company has performed works by master choreographers including Lar Lubovitch, Alwin Nikolais, Doris Humphrey, Sara and Jerry Pearson, Ihsan Rustem, and Loni Landon.
This troupe, guided by resourceful choreographers, sustains a disciplined stamina which helps them deliver the programme in high spirits. It is, also, every minute of it, charming.
– Sjoerd Meijer, The Daily News, Durban, South Africa
For Contemporary Dance Theatre tour schedules and booking information please visit pam.byu.edu.
dancEnsemble is a contemporary dance company that provides students the opportunity to develop and refine their performance and choreographic skills through studio work, out-of-class rehearsals, and performances. Participation in the company is a semester by semester commitment and students may audition for both Fall and Winter semesters. Choreography in the dancEnsemble concert each semester includes work created by faculty as well as students, providing participants the opportunity to work both with high level faculty choreographers and with peer choreographers. Involvement in dancEnsemble also provides an environment where professionalism in the field of dance is fostered.
The Fall ‘16 concert will be a new evening-length work created collaboratively with the company that plays with audience viewpoints and perspectives through a re-imagining of the RB Dance Theater space as a site-specific environment. This exciting collaboration will also include a team of musicians who will compose and play live during the show. Be a part of a unique project that places performance into the balcony, inside the mirror, through the window, between the wings and more.
Kinnect is a student outreach performance dance company with a specific focus on developing teaching, creative, and performing skills in its members. This group is carefully selected, prepared, and mentored in order to effectively teach dance as a creative process to elementary- and middle-school-age children, following the Utah State Dance Standards. Group members create a “lecture-performance” during winter semester and tour to local public schools, museum, and conferences several days in March and the first four weeks of spring term.
Kinnect is a lesser-known group of students at BYU that quietly exemplifies the university’s core mission of going forth to serve.
– Jacob Draper, Documentary Filmmaker
Each of the three contemporary dance company holds independent auditions.
Contemporary Dance Theatre
Seeking exceptionally trained male and female performers interested in dancing all styles of modern and contemporary dance!
Registration at 4:30 in 185 RB
Wear modest leotards and tights, bare feet. You will learn and perform 2-3 movement sections; there may be some improvisation. Other membership commitments are also required.
Please fill out an audition form prior to auditioning. The form can be picked up in the Dance Office 294 RB
Wear modest clothing that you can move in uninhibitedly. You will learn and perform 2-3 movement phrases; there may be some improvisation.
REQUIREMENTS OF DANCENSEMBLE MEMBERS
- Register for Dance 368R (dancEnsemble)
- Register for a daily Contemporary technique class
(preferably 340, 341, or 440; no audits)
- $50 company dues
- Help with marketing (about a 1-hour time commitment)
- All dE members MUST be available for all tech rehearsals
- The concert is November 13-14 with tech in the evenings of the 10-12
- Complete rehearsal schedule
- Company members must commit to all times listed:
- Class times: Tuesday, Thursday; 3-4:30PM
- Availability to work Tuesday, Thursday, 6-10PM. Students will not be required to work for more than 4 hours total within that time frame
- Two Saturday rehearsals, Sep. 24, Oct. 8; 12-5PM
THIS YEAR, KINNECT WILL HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO:
Perform for and teach over 15,000 students in Utah schools and museums
Participate at dance and the Child international conference in Adelaide Australia July 7-14, 2018
REQUIREMENTS FOR KINNECT MEMBERS
- Register for Dance 348R Winter – Mon. & Wed, 4:00 – 6:00pm.
- Register for Dance 365 Creative Dance for Elementary – Fridays, 9:00 – 10:50 am
- Register for a Contemporary technique class, preferably 241R, 243R, 340R, 341R, or 440R (No audits.)
- Participate in two Saturday rehearsals TBA
- Tour to local schools in Winter and Spring
- Company and fingerprinting fees $50-$60
- Attend Callbacks, Sat. Dec. 2 nd 8-12, 1137 RB
- Attend 2018 Orientation, Thurs., Dec.14, 11-12 164 RB (last day of class)