Dance News Archive

Tessa Homer Reflects on the Power of Dance Education

Convocation for the Department of Dance, the School of Music and the Department of Theatre and Media Arts will take place at 11 a.m. on April 27

aria-describedby=

Convocation speaker Tessa Homer. Photo courtesy of Samantha Little Photography.

Tessa Homer selected dance as her major because she is passionate about bringing dance to public schools. Her love of helping students feel empowered and confident through dance has inspired her to pursue a career as a dance teacher. 

“My students’ creative minds inspire me,” said Homer, “and their willingness to be vulnerable through movement makes me proud. Likewise, I love my major because the faculty here at BYU are very involved. They care a lot about their students and provide many opportunities for students to grow as artists and connect as people.”

Homer’s favorite classes during her studies at BYU have been her contemporary technique classes because her professors bring enthusiasm and passion to each class, causing her and classmates to become invested and motivated to improve. Together, Homer said they create an environment that enables everyone to take risks, be vulnerable and develop personal artistry.

Apart from her experiences in the classroom, Homer said she also “had the opportunity to travel with the dance department to attend conferences, perform and participate in festivals in various places. From Washington, D.C. to Copenhagen, each traveling experience brought me new perspective on the universality of human expression through dance.”

Homer said her most memorable experience was when she participated in the China Dance Study Abroad because she loved the cross-cultural collaboration that occurred while taking classes with Chinese dance students. Homer received an ORCA grant to complete research on teaching methods while she studied in China.

aria-describedby=

Convocation speaker Tessa Homer. Photo courtesy of BYU Photo.

As for her future endeavors, Homer said “I plan to teach dance in public schools and continue my growth as a dancer. While my main ambition is to teach dance, I still plan on finding ways to continue improving my own dance skills by staying involved in the performance world.”

What did you want to be when you grew up?

“I wanted to be a teacher. Then I wanted to be a dancer. So now I am blending those two passions to be a dance teacher!”

Where do you find inspiration?

“I find inspiration from both my peers and my students. I am moved by my peers’ passion and creativity, and they inspire me to develop my own artistic voice. My students inspire me with their creative ideas and they motivate me to continue learning and refining my teaching methods.”

What was the hardest challenge you had to overcome at BYU?

“Finding the confidence I needed to jump into new opportunities. Reflecting back on my BYU experience, I involved myself with many new opportunities, but it was challenging for me to confidently be there. While the students at BYU and within my department are very talented and hardworking, I had to learn that I am too.”

What is your favorite snack to eat between classes?

“Granola bars.”