The city of Quincy, Illinois celebrated their Flag Day Festival and Lincoln in the District with the BYU International Folk Dance Ensemble and Mountain Strings Saturday, June 11, 2016. Braving the 98 degree heat and high humidity, the group performed at mid-day in Washington Park. As part of the show, Mountain Strings performed the Illinois State Song, which received many positive accolades. After the performance people crowded around the performers. Audience members commented that “this was the best event of the entire day.” They could not stop praising the students.
Some other first week highlights included:
- Well-received daily evening shows on the outdoor Nauvoo stage.
- An outreach show in Keokuk, IL, along with a service project for Rotary International.
- A performance at the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Museum in Springfield, Illinois.
- Attending the Nauvoo Temple.
- Presenting a Sunday evening “Sociable” at the Nauvoo LDS chapel.
- A guided Martyrdom Trail Tour with historian Craig Dunn.
- A guided tour of Quincy historical sites.
FEATURE PHOTO CAPTION: Sean Nicholes, Christian Halvorsen, Marshall Gibson, and Branson Handy stop for a photo as they tour Historic Nauvoo.
Photos and text from Performing Arts Management.